Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Get a Box

As I continue my quest to be "paper free" I am incorporating more online resources into my workflow getting away from computer based applications.

Two of my favorites (presently) are Google documents and Box.net

Google documents allows you to upload, revise, create, send, post documents with an online application tool that looks very familiar. You can save your creations as a Word file or with a new addition, you can quickly convert to a PDF file for easy transport. Like all Google applications, it's free and size is not an issue.

As an online file cabinet to hold files that I might need while away from the office or to work on from home without using a work computer, I have a Box account. You can get an account with very adequate storage space for free and the ability to upgrade as your storage need increases.

Box and Google docs both allow a document to be emailed directly to your online account as well as various sharing arrangements for collaboration with others. Google docs also has a push/pull function that allows you to access your files on your computer and when back online it will sync the online version with any revisions.

By depending more on the anywhere availability of online applications and file storage I have greater flexibility in organizing a paper-less workflow.

Have a paper-less tip to share with other pastors and lay leaders? Post a comment and share it with others!

0 comments: